I'll jump in first. I just finished a great book called
"Taking Judaism Personally" by Judy Petsonk. I love this book because, as a convert, I'm always look for role models - what does it mean to be a Jew and how do you live out your most deeply held Jewish values? This book has interviews with dozens of Jews as to how they answered that question. Among the notables are Yitz and Blu Greenburg and both Kushner rabbis.
6 comments:
Finished the "Rabbi's Cat" by Joann Sfar this Shabbat. This book is a laugh riot. Told in cartoon fomat, it's the story of a talking cat that wants a bar mitzvah and is able to out argue the rabbi to get one.
This summer's T.E. Window had some book recommendations. One of them was "Half the Sky:Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide" by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. This book really put a hook in my heart and pulled me forward to a new understand of social justice issues across the world. It also made me re-think the categories of Jewish and non-Jewish books. This book was not written by Jews (that I know of) and Jews were nowhere mentioned (that I remembered) but any book, I now believe, that educates us about injustices and suffering and how to address them must be a Jewish book. Because Jews need to know and do everything we can to try to change those situations.
"What is a Jew?" by Rabbi Morris N. Kertzer and revised by Rabbi Lawrence A. Hoffman is the book that I found helpful in answering a lot of my parents' questions. It provides a very concise overview of basic topics and builds a vocabulary for further in-depth discussions.
Catherine
Thank you, Catherine!
Thanks Val, for sending the link. I just finished reading Mitch Albom's book "have a little faith"
He is the guy who wrote "Tuesdays with Morrie."
I was recomended by my very Christian and not particulary open minded brother in law.
Beautiful read about an "agnostic" Jew who learns from his childhood rabbi.
Really a heart opening read!
Post a Comment